Looking for the best gaming laptop under $500?
After tons of research, I’ve come up with a list of the best gaming laptops under 500 dollars for you that you can pick up today and start playing your favorite games.
However, it’d be better if you could bump up your budget a little bit, which should get you a more powerful gaming laptop.
But if you don’t want to, let’s get this list started! 😉
Here are some more gaming laptops under $500. These are the best-selling ones right now on Amazon so make sure to check these out as well. Also, if the other laptops from this list go out of stock, these are the ones you should be checking out as these best-selling ranks keep changing so no laptop is probably going to be out of stock that’s listed here.
- 【Processor】AMD Ryzen 3 3350U Quad-Core Processor (Base Frequency at 2.10GHz, Up to 3.50GHz at...
- 【Display】15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED backlit IPS Display, enjoy your photos,...
- 【RAM and Storage】RAM is upgraded to 8GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications...
- 【Tech Specs】Windows 10 Home 64-bit, English | 1 - USB 3.1 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps), 2...
- 【Included in the package】Bundled with Cloth
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad Core Processor 2.1GHz up to 3.7GHz; Graphics: Integrated Radeon...
- Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM (4GB OnBoard + 4GB DIMM) Internal Storage: 256GB 2242 NVMe TLC SSD...
- Display: 15.6" FHD IPS LED Backlit Anti-Glare Non-touch Display;
- 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Wireless_ 2 x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio Webcam_ 0.3MP Camera...
- Operating System: Windows 10; Battery Life: Up to 6 Hours;
- reduced heat production and power draw on the battery
- Powerful Productivity: AMD Ryzen 3 3350U delivers desktop-class performance and amazing battery life...
- Maximized Visuals: See even more on the stunning 15.6" Full HD display with 82.58% screen-to-body,...
- Backlit Keyboard and Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in...
- Internal Specifications: 4GB DDR4 on-board memory (1 slot available); 128GB NVMe solid-state drive...
- Acer's Purified.Voice technology, features enhanced digital signal processing to cancel out...
- 15.6" Full HD Anti-glare Display (1920 x 1080), Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad Core Processor
- 256GB SSD, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
- Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi 802.11ac
- 720p HD Webcam with Dolby Audio dual speakers, 4-in-1 Media Card Reader
- 2 x USB 3.1 | 1 x USB 2.0 | 1 x HDMI | headphones, Microsoft Windows 10 home 64-bit.
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad Core Processor
- 8GB RAM 256GB Storage;
- 15.6" FHD Display;
- : Windows 10;
- AMD Ryzen 5 3450U Mobile Processor (4 Core, 8 Threads, Base Clock 2.1GHz, max boost clock: Up to...
- 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Non-Touch Narrow Border WVA Display; 512GB M.2...
- 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth; Unite your devices with Mobile Connect
- Ports & Slots 1. SD Card Reader | 2. USB 2.0 Gen 1 Type-A | 3. Wedge-shaped lock slot | 4. Power-in...
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit English; Non-Backlit Keyboard, English with numeric Keypad; Color: Snowflake
- Display: 15.6-inch diagonal HD, BrightView, micro-edge, WLED-backlit
- Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
- Internal storage: 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
- Graphics: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
- 15.6" Diagonal HD (1366 x 768) SVA BrightView Micro-edge WLED-backlit Display, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB...
- AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 5 3500U Processor (Up to 3.70GHz, 4MB Cache), AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, HP True Vision 720p HD Camera with Integrated Dual Array Digital...
- 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C, 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A, 1x HDMI, 1x Headphone/microphone Combo Jack
- Windows 10
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile Processors with Radeon Graphics deliver powerful performance for everyday...
- Dopoundsy Audio delivers crystal-clear sound, while the 14-inch FHD screen and narrow side bezels...
- Quick and quiet with Q-control – Effortlessly swap between fast and powerful performance and quiet...
- Connect with ease using Bluetooth 4.1, up to 2x2 Wi-Fi 5, three USB ports, and HDMI
- Keep your privacy intact with a physical shutter for your webcam. You'll enjoy privacy right at your...
- 【Memory & Storage】8GB DDR4 SDRAM for enhanced high bandwidth to easily switch back and forth...
- 【Flair & Dynamism】The 14 inch Full HD thin-bezel NanoEdge display comes with 1920x1080 native...
- 【Powerful & Portable Ryzen 5 Laptop】With the latest AMD Ryzen 5 Mobile Processor, ASUS...
- 【Fuel Your Productivity】Ergonomic backlit keyboard with 1.4mm key travel provides a comfortable...
- 【Included in the package】Mousepad from PConline365
Table of Contents
- Best Gaming Laptops Under $500
- Is A Gaming Laptop Under $500 Worth It?
- Can You Get a Good Laptop for $500?
Best Gaming Laptops Under $500
I’ll keep updating this list of budget gaming laptops from time to time, however frequently I can keep my eyes on the latest and the greatest developments in the gaming laptop world.
If you feel this post is outdated, please hit me up and let me know, I’ll update it asap!
“I was looking for a computer that met the minimum specifications to support a software I work with, even though the equipment is used arrived in excellent condition, in the estimated time, and it works perfectly for the purpose I bought it, turns on in 20 seconds, it’s fabulous.”
Featuring a powerful AMD Ryzen 5 2500U processor with integrated Vega 8 graphics, 12GB of DDR4 memory, and a 128GB SSD, the Lenovo Ideapad comes with a lot of features. As well as having a 15.6-inch 1080P screen, it also comes with Windows 10 Home and weighs just under five pounds.
The Inspiron with the most storage may be the best choice for you if you’re after a laptop with a larger storage capacity. The Lenovo Ideapad is currently the best option under $500 thanks to the extra RAM and the faster SSD.
This laptop will handle medium-to-higher settings on non-demanding eSports titles on a medium-to-high frame rate with the Ryzen 5 2500U and the Vega 8 graphics integrated into it. There may even be some titles that can be played on lower settings while maintaining an acceptable framerate.
If you can’t afford a high-end laptop but want one that is capable of running all your favorite games, I would recommend the Lenovo Ideapad. Alternatively, if you opt for a desktop, you could build a powerful gaming computer that can run high-end gaming software on a 1080p monitor at a considerably lower price.
“So far this does the trick. Fast with videos, files, and emails. Gaming it seems to work pretty well. I haven’t played any new games like Destiny 2 or COD. Mostly older games off of steam like RTS games. It does heat up when I play games and the fan really starts to run pretty hard. But what do you expect when playing games on a laptop.”
There aren’t many gaming laptops under $500 as good as the Dell Inspiron 15. It’s quite evident from our previous discussion that the Dell Inspiron and the Lenovo Ideapad have essentially the same specs. This tablet has Vega 8 integrated graphics and an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U CPU. Furthermore, it features a 15.6-inch display with 1080P resolution.
It comes with a 1TB hard drive instead of the smaller SSD found in the Inspiron 15. Despite the SSD that comes with the Lenovo Ideapad’s boot and load times being faster, 128GB is still not much storage in today’s world. If your storage needs are higher than just 128GB, this Dell Inspiron maybe your best option if you are on the fence between the two options.
Although the Lenovo Ideapad has 12GB of DDR4 memory, compared to 8GB on the Dell Inspiron. Most games that can be played on these two laptops will require 8GB of RAM at a minimum. The Ideapad does have a lot of RAM, but no matter what, it’s not a deal-breaker.
Ultimately, the Intel Ideapad will offer slightly better performance in games thanks to its SSD and more RAM.
For users who need a ton of storage, Dell’s Inspiron 3000 may be the best choice. A 2TB hard drive, 8GB of DDR4 memory, and Windows 10 Home are included in the Inspiron model.
Additionally, the Intel Core i5-7200U and the integrated Intel HD 620 graphics on this device are powerful enough to run games at a minimum of lower-to-medium resolutions on the 1366 x 768 display.
Our top two picks on this list will offer similar performance on a 1080P display, but our top picks which use Vega 8 integrated graphics will deliver better performance in games. While this Dell Inspiron 3000 might be a good choice for playing some low-demanding games on a laptop with a 1366 x 768 display, a higher resolution laptop like Lenovo IdeaPad and Dell Inspiron 15 is likely to run most games well.
No computer, even one that costs $500, will provide an ideal gaming experience. For those looking for the larger 2TB hard drive, the Dell Inspiron 3000 might be suitable if you play mainly non-demanding games.
The Acer Aspire 3 is an option worth considering if you want an even more affordable laptop. In the Aspire 3, AMD has incorporated the Vega 3 graphics engine into its Ryzen 3 2200U processor. As well as 1TB of hard drive space and 8GB of RAM, it has a 1.3GHz quad-core processor.
Acer Aspire laptops are of great value because they have screens with 1366 x 768 resolution on their 15.6-inch screens. The laptop’s screen resolution of 1366 by 768 will not provide the same level of sharpness as a 1080P display; however, it will run games more smoothly since it has a lower resolution.
Higher resolutions require the GPU to render images more efficiently. As a result, this laptop is better suited to play games because of its lower-resolution display. However, getting a laptop with a 1080P screen would just drive up the price, even if you turned down the resolution in the display setting.
So, if you’re working within a really limited budget, choosing a lower resolution screen would make more sense, since it would grant you better gaming performance. No option from this list will be able to achieve ideal gaming performance as it is. As such, it is not necessary to choose the most expensive option, but rather one that delivers you as many frames per second as possible. That will be made easier by a lower screen resolution.
If you are looking for an alternative to the HP laptop listed below, you might want to take a look. Acer has turned out a 14′′ laptop that incorporates an SSD and an Intel processor (with integrated graphics) that delivers similar performance in games as this Acer laptop – but with lower screen size.
Last but not least, we have the ASUS VivoBook as an Honorable Mention. Among all of the laptops we reviewed, the VivoBook has the fastest processor. Unfortunately, it cannot run games on a 1080P display effectively due to its Intel HD 620 integrated graphics.
As a result, this ASUS laptop won’t be able to run games on its 1080P display due to its Intel HD 620 graphics, which fare worse than the Vega 8 graphics found in the top two laptops. If you want better performance in games, you can always lower the resolution.
In spite of its high price, this laptop is also the second most expensive on our list. The top two laptops on the list can be had for just $40 less. My money would go to Lenovo Ideapad or Dell Inspiron 15 as the best gaming laptops under $500, so that’s what I’d choose if I had the option.
As with the Aspire 3, the HP 14-CF0014DX will cost you about $460. It is also an ultra-cheap sub-$400 laptop you can use for light gaming. Although Intel Core processors (i3-7100U instead of AMD), this HP laptop is not as powerful as the Acer Aspire 3.
Acer’s Aspire 3 is powered by a Ryzen 3 2200U processor which comes with integrated Intel HD 620 graphics that are on par with the Vega 3 integrated graphics of the i3-7100U.
Additionally, because both of these laptops have a 1366 x 768 display, their performance in games should be similar as well. Although it has an SSD drive, this laptop has a hard drive of 1TB, which the Aspire 3 does not have. Thus, this HP laptop might be better for you if you need more storage.
While it does come with a 14′′ display, please do note that all other options on this list feature a 15.6′′ display.
GPU and CPU are two of the most important factors that determine the level of performance when gaming. The AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Dual-Core Processor of the Acer Aspire 5 is not designed for light gaming because it has enough power to run all your high-end games. In addition to gaming, these work well to edit videos and photos.
In addition to its DDR4 4GB Ram and 128GB NVMe PCIe SSD, the Acer Aspire 5 has DDR4 4GB RAM. A base model in this price range is roughly $350. Both of these are upgradeable, so you can upgrade them later. In the event, you play a fair amount of games, a 128GB solid-state drive may be too little, but the RAM would be adequate for running games at low-time settings.
A 1920 x 1080 resolution is found on this budget gaming laptop. Gamer’s can enjoy crisp, clear images on the 15.6 inch IPS Display for a higher level of gaming. Despite complete darkness, you will still be able to type while the keyboard is backlit. 7-hour battery life is available as well!
There are also some USB 2.0 ports as well as an HDMI port on this budget laptop. They do the job, but they’re not extraordinary. It lacks a USB Type-C port as well, which is disappointing. Furthermore, the manufacturer offers a one-year warranty.
Among the best laptops for gaming under $500 is the Acer Aspire 5 3200U, which is powerful & portable. Easy to use, it has great ergonomics.
Its newest processor, an Intel Core i3-7100U, allows it to fully live up to the “flagship” in its name. Furthermore, the laptop is able to run games smoothly as well as support heavy games. It might be a good idea to upgrade your graphic card.
Despite this, it might not be suitable for high-end games, as its integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 might produce a good frame rate for low-to-medium-end titles. Any additional graphics card will cost several hundred dollars more.
A hard drive, rather than a fast SSD, is included with the HP Flagship. Despite the laptop’s 1TB HDD, the technology is outdated and it isn’t good enough for games. While it has 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, that’s not enough for many games.
Besides its regular keyboard, this laptop has a 15.6-inch touchscreen display with HD WLED-backlighting. It is possible to give commands to the laptop using the mouse pad or directly by touching it.
In spite of the fact that SuperMulti DVD burners in laptops have become more difficult to find these days, the HP Flagship still comes with one. Additionally, there is a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 port, as well as a multi-format SD card reader. It’s also great that the warranty is exclusive to 1 year!
It is capable of running games in their final form. Also, it includes a DVD Burner, something quite rare. Over $400 gaming laptops are severely lacking in SSDs and decent graphics cards.
We have featured a number of expensive laptops on this list, including the HP Pavilion. IPS screen with a resolution of 15.6″. This one has a black and green HP logo, which makes it stand out from the crowd. Green edges are featured on the keys of the backlit keyboard.
Battery life for this device is six hours on average and it is powered by a Windows 10 operating system. In addition to AMD’s 2nd Generation Ryzen 5 2550H processor and Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1050 GPU, it can also handle the task of playing graphics-intensive games.
A backlit keyboard, along with a numeric keypad, is included with the laptop. 256GB of hard disk space and an extremely lightweight design make it a perfect gaming laptop.
10. Lenovo IdeaPad 3
It is important to have a fast display for gaming because a slow display can completely ruin your experience. A sub-$500 laptop will usually use a TN (Twisted Nematic) display, which is a cheaper display technology.
Even though TN displays will not offer the same vivid colors and wide viewing angles as IPS (In-plane Switching) displays, they will display faster response and refresh rates. TN is one of the best ways to play games on a sub-$500 laptop. The Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15.6-inch is a great example of this.
While the IdeaPad 3’s flimsy plastic chassis is hardly a steal, the thin bezels and 15.6-inch TN HD display (1366 x 768) are certainly welcoming in appearance. The processor is an AMD Ryzen 3 3250U, and the memory is up to 8 GB. The storage is 128 GB SSD. Vega 3 is an AMD graphics card, which handles graphics well.
The HDMI port is one of several ports on the unit, along with 3 other USB ports, a LAN jack, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless networks. Thanks to the improved RAM and memory of the IdeaPad 3, the laptop performs surprisingly well. The relatively dim picture may pose a problem in gaming even with the good refresh rate and response time of the TN panel.
A laptop with this kind of power will do exceptionally well for light gaming, as Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15.6-inch handles it very well. To provide an excellent gaming experience, it fully utilizes its TN panel. Here are the best gaming laptops under $500 that you can buy. The IdeaPad 3 15.6-inch is a good choice.
Is A Gaming Laptop Under $500 Worth It?
The main point I want to make is this: if you’re a gamer and you have a budget of $500, building your own gaming desktop or buying a pre-built PC provides you far more performance.
But some gamers do need the mobility offered by their laptops for school and work purposes (e.g., traveling). Choosing the top two options on the list would be best if you work with a tight budget and need to be mobile, while still wanting to play games.
You may be able to get away with using the other options if you are mainly going to play games that don’t require a lot of input.
Can You Get a Good Laptop for $500?
As long as you focus mainly on the specs, power, and performance of your under-500 gaming laptop, you should be able to find a pretty decently powerful gaming laptop for this budget. So yes, you can get a good, even great gaming laptop for this budget. However, if you bump your budget a little, you’ll get a much better gaming laptop that crushes the 500 dollar gaming laptop.